The Minnesota Artists Exhibition Program (MAEP) is a curatorial program of the Minneapolis Institute of Art (Mia) dedicated to exhibiting and supporting artists living and working in the state of Minnesota. Begun in 1975 as a creative partnership with the Mia, the MAEP was founded by a group of regional artists interested in creating an innovative exhibition and programming space. What began as a year-long agreement has been extended into an ongoing relationship between the Minnesota artist community and Mia. The MAEP is a unique program in which an elected artist panel representing the Minnesota artist community selects fellow artists to exhibit their work at Mia. The MAEP presents contemporary art within the context of an encyclopedic art museum, actively inserting the state’s artists into a broader discourse about history, art, and culture. The MAEP plays a key role in the museum’s efforts to enrich the community through art and, in doing so, provides a forum for contemporary art and ideas.
We are currently accepting proposals to be considered for the Spring/Summer 2017 exhibition slot, March 16 through July 2, 2017.
The deadline to submit is Friday, February 19 at 4 p.m.
Please Create an Account or Sign in to submit your proposal. You can save your progress, exit the application, and add materials over multiple sessions. Do not wait until the last minute to submit. *Mia staff and degree seeking students are not eligible to apply. Artists may only submit one (1) proposal at a time. Proposal review will happen at the next scheduled panel meeting. Proposals should include all of the following:
- A two-page resume in PDF format. Collaborative proposals should include a two-page resume per artist saved as a single PDF.
- A general artist statement, of 500 words or less, outlining each artist’s thematic and formal interests. Collaborative proposals should describe the nature of their collaboration in a single statement. These proposals must demonstrate how two or more unique artistic voices and talents will combine to create a new, cohesive body of work.
- A focused exhibition proposal, of 500 words or less, describing the goals, rationale, and focus of the proposed exhibition.
- Up to 12 digital images or work samples per proposal; including overall, detail, and installation shots of your most recent work. If proposing a new body of work, artists are strongly encouraged to submit works in progress.
- Each of the files should be 72 dpi jpeg and no larger than 2MB.
- Each video and/or sound file should be no longer than 2:00. Upload your file to either YouTube or Vimeo then cut and paste link.
- Information that includes the following for each work: Artist, title, series (if applicable), date, medium, dimensions (h × w × d")
When preparing your proposal feel free to review these sample exhibition statements:
Download a plan of the US Bank Gallery Map.
Download a plan of Mia's Second Floor Gallery Map.
Dowload our FAQ for more information.
Note: All proposals must be submitted through the online application at maep.mnartists.org. Mailed, emailed, or hand delivered proposals will not be accepted. If the proposal is rejected, artists are welcome to resubmit the same or an edited proposal for the next deadline. Specific questions concerning the preparation of exhibition proposals may be directed to the Mia staff member listed below.